We are pleased to offer our very popular bespoke, Scapa Flow private day tour, which encompasses the story of
Scapa Flow by Land and Sea
This Tour is only available from 1st May to 31st July
Scapa Flow by Land
- Southern Sentinels
Full overview of Orkney’s Southern Coast Defence Batteries, including a guided tour around Hoxa 6” battery and Balfour TWIN 6pdr battery. Great firing positions with amazing vantage point over Hoxa Sound and Scapa Flow.
- HMS Royal Oak and Kriegsmarine U-boat U-47
The HMS Royal Oak was torpedoed by German U-boat U-47 on the 14th October 1939 with the loss of 834 on board. Follow the path of the U-47 and the strategy behind the attack on the HMS Royal Oak, from the entrance to Scapa Flow, to escape. See rare and unique aerial reconnaissance to help visualise this tragic story.
- The Churchill Barriers
In depth discussion about the construction of the Churchill Barriers named after Winston Churchill the British Prime Minister during WWII. Learn about the men who built them and the stories associated with this historic site. Overview of Blockships and Boom Defence. Great picture taking opportunities.
- The Italian Chapel
Visit the Italian Chapel built by Italian POWs during WWII. See the remains Camp 60 home to the Italian POWs from 1942 – 1944. Learn about their task to build the Churchill Barriers and their lives and interaction with the locals.
Scapa Flow by Sea
Private tour of Scapa Flow on the Dawn Star II berthed at St Mary’s Pier in Holm.
This tour will include the following:
- Visit the final resting place of HMS Royal Oak.
- Sonar imaging of HMS Royal Oak.
- Booms and Blockship Defence.
- Churchill Barriers from Scapa Flow.
- Wildlife and Sea Birds.
- Seals and other Sea Mammals.
- Other WWI and WWII Wreck locations.
- Scenic views and much more.
- Scapa Flow Land and Sea is a full day tour.
- Maximum of 4 persons for this tour.
- Tour may be subject to change given time restraints for the Boat Trip and adverse weather.
- In the case of adverse weather for boat trip, we will offer an alternative tour or alternative date weather permitting.
- Warm and waterproof clothing recommended for tour.
- Tour start dependent on boat trip tidal times (will know more nearer the time).
- Tour includes all refreshments, snacks, driver/guide, private vessel tour, private tour itineraries, pick up/drop off.
- Tour does not include lunch.
- All passengers for will be required to wear a life jacket on the boat as this is a compulsory safety requirement. Please note that there can not be any exceptions to this requirement and anyone refusing to wear a life jacket will be refuse passage on the boat.
If you would like more information or to enquire about this tour send an enquiry directly from this website.